Thursday, November 29, 2007

Your Favorite Christmas Gift.

my mom inspired this topic.

what is the most favorite gift you ever received for Christmas?

over all the years, i have two that really stick out.

this first one was by far the best! it was a barbie make up case. i got it for christmas when i was 8. it was a pink (of course) oval case with three eye shadow colors: powder blue, bubble gum pink, and lavender. then a creme rouge, and a square bottle filled with "perfume", which was more like diluted soap. i think i applied make up every day! i looked more like a drag queen than barbie, but i thought i was beautiful. i remember having a dress up party with the red headed irish girl who lived down the block. she always played with her mothers crazy make up, or was it her crazy mother's make up??... (she was an elvis freak!!!) once i got my own make up kit, i knocked her socks off!

the next one was an electric blanket. i was 12. it was the ugliest brown color, but was the coziest thing i ever snuggled with.

thanks mom, for buying those things for me! i appreciate every late hour you stayed up wrapping all those gifts, and every minute you stood over watching us decorate those cookies. i hope they were fun for you too!

10 comments:

P said...

the gifts that come to my mind are:

1) the red telephone. i had a picture taken with it. i loved it, but i don't ever remember playing with it again. weird.

2) capsela! probably my favorite toy ever.

3) my microscope kit. it was so cool that it came with glass slides and stains for cells and little vials for saving stuff. it even had a little light. it was dope.

i also remember getting a gorgeous victoria's secret pink cotton lawn nightgown when i was 18 and i cried for hours because it was so pretty and i had zero use for it. hello, you can't exactly wear that around burge hall.

Dina said...

i remember capcela. we would play with them in the bath tub.

i saw microscope kits in this catalog, and thought about you. i can't wait for V and A to have one. it's sciensch (lateral lisp).

P said...

it's SCIENSCH!

yeah, i'm sure you got the scientifics catalog. we did, too, and i got all misty-eyed.

memmmm-reees! like the corners of my miiiiiiiind...

E said...

1. My purple Cabbage Patch Kids Slippers with Cabbage Patch Kid Heads on them. They kept my feet warm and they were oh, so stylin'.

2. My PXL 2000 Toys R Us video camera (the video camera for kids) that recorded video on cassette tapes which you could play back (in black and white).

3. The fragrance of the year in 1991 - Calvin Klein Escape - I was so cool!

There are too many more to list. The above mentioned were the ones that I was actually surprised about since I was a latch key kid who spent many afternoons in December carefully unwrapping and re-wrapping presents under the tree. Sorry Mom!

diane303 said...

The biggest fun is when you can find the one thing that another person really, really wants.

I just loved those crazy cookies. I remember looking all over the place trying to find little silver sugar balls.

Do you remember the one night when a stranger walked into the house at, like, two in the morning, when I was wrapping gifts? I was taking gifts out of the trunk of my car (perfect hiding place) and had left the front door ajar while I was carrying the stuff to the family room. I heard someone in the dark foyer and thought it was your dad coming down from the bedroom to see how I was doing...but it wasn't. I screamed bloody murder and woke up the whole house. The guy turned tail and ran. Never knew who it was.

P said...

more shockingly, i can't believe dad let you just sit down there until all hours wrapping gifts without helping you. wow on that.

diane303 said...

I can't honestly feel bad about your Dad not being there to help me, though. He was on his feet all day at the Salon.

Besides, I use to, kind of, enjoy getting things done during the small hours of the night. No interruptions. I use to watch schmaltzy old movies on AMC (Betty Davis was my fave)and fold clothes after everyone went to bed.

Those were the years that I kept the NoDoz handy. lol

Dina said...

i enjoy getting things done after the kids go down for the night. i couldn't stay up that late tho'

E said...

that story about the guy in the house really scared me.

Dina said...

i was just a baby, but will never forget the story.
even in 1974-1975 glenview, creepy things happened.