Friday, June 22, 2007

Cleanliness is Godliness


i do not consider myself to be a clean freak by any sense of the word (trust me, i know of people who are psychotic about cleaning), but upon discussion with my friends a while back, i realized my idiosyncrasies are not uncommon. in fact, many others share the VERY same quirks.

everyone has a way of functioning in they're own home, or even at the work place. here is a list of my O.C.D. tendencies.

TOTAL MELT DOWN: when my dishwasher is loaded the wrong way, or towels folded incorrectly. yes, this is a big deal to me!!!!

Cooking: i need to clean as i cook. i put everything away as i am preparing food. i can not have a counter top cluttered with culinary paraphernalia. this makes post dinnertime cleanup much easier.

Put IT Away!!! : if your finished with the news paper, fold it back up and bring it to the recycling bin, do not leave it scattered on the dining room table, counter top, or around the toilet. no one will take interest in it and decide to read it. when you're finished making PB&J, but the bread in the pantry, screw the lids back onto the jars and place back into the fridge or lazy suzan. for god's sake, clean off the knife before throwing it into the sink...lead to next topic.

Clean it off: i need to wipe off all excess spreads off my knife either onto the bread or paper towel before i use it for something else ( PB&J, i don't like crumbs, or jelly floating around in the peanut butter jar...Gaggging) i have the need to clean my plate. it's not that i over eat, i serve myself a small helping, but need to scrape or sop up everything. it kills me to see hunks of tomato, or that last few grains of rice on rick's plate. he has the opposite philosophy, and needs to leave something on his plate. when i feed my kids, i use that rubber spoon to remove all bits of anything from that bowl.
my kitchen sink needs be clean all the time. i hate, hate, HATE food left spattered on the sides, coffee stains, even soap bubbles on the bottom. i even have a special rotating tooth brush i use to buzz off an kind of build up on the faucet. my sink also has a "clean side" and a dirty side". i know not everyone knows this, but it really bothers me when people put dirty stuff in the "clean side".


well, that's really it. I could go into other habits and rituals, but the 4 highlighted, are the most important. i am a bit un-organized, or less tidy in other areas. maybe if i put less energy into these 4, and more into others, my desk wouldn't be as cluttered, my closet wouldn't have piles of shoes in them...the light just went off in my head.

what the hell am i doing??? i gotta go organize my closets.

13 comments:

P said...

i hate peanut butter in my jelly and crumbs in my butter, too.

E said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jackaland Online said...

I am wacko about the dishwasher- I will actually reload what someone else has loaded- I'm sorry, certain prongs are for certain glasses, dishes, etc, and I truly believe my way gets more into a load. Laundry, too- towels go in with towels, sheets with sheets, pants and shirts are separated first, then by color. Now, once it's out, I don't care who folds it or how- I don't even care if the shirt is inside-out (I have a friend who cannot STAND this!) In fact, I refuse to turn my husband's shirts right-side-out for him-- why is he removing his shirt like a kid, anyway?

diane303 said...

As you know, with 3 dogs in my house right now, I am no clean freal. The two things that make me nuts are clothes taken out of the dryer and not folded and a dishwasher that is not loaded correctly.

I change the sheet every saturday afternoon and when, for whatever reason, I cannpt get to them on Saturday, I practically can't stand sleeping in them.

E said...

This dishwasher thing has puzzled me. I'm nuts about practically everything else but that. So, I was loading the dishwasher last night, thinking about this, maybe there could be a system here. The object is to make sure every dish gets properly cleaned, right? Okay, since I'm like a two shades short of being a blonde (no offense to blondes) what IS the correct way to load your dishwasher???? any advice????

diane303 said...

Hmm..the dishwasher thing. When Jack loads the dishwasher, he just jams the dishes in there however they will fit. If you really look at them, it is obvious that some of the dishes won't get cleaned because of obstructed water flow. I actually go in there and rearrange everything so that the water moves around and gets to all the surfaces. It drives him batty. I hate to be mean about it because I don't want to discourage him from doing the dishes for me.

Dina said...

my silverware must go into the wells by catagory
forks with forks, knives with knives etc...
all the handles must face down. i feel as tho' they're cleaned better this way. the food won't get trapped inside the holder and then get baked onto the utensil.
i'm with you hol, on the laundrey thing. rick washed some towels with clothing and they came out all pilly.

DJ Rizzi said...

Anty Dina it me DJ I just saw this, if you put my blog on yours ill put yours on mine. :)

Dina said...

sure thing d.j.!!!! i'd love for my friends to visit your blog!!!!!

Jackaland Online said...

As far as my dishwasher, the different spaces between prongs will tilt your dish or bowl a certain degree. If you do this properly, you will fit the most items in while still getting the appropriate rinse (see diane303.) And, yes, sorting the silverware just makes for quicker and easier unloading. I happen to be naturally blond, but clearly I'm more obsessive-compulsive than I am ditsy... ;)

Dina said...

hol, you are the one of the least ditsy person i know!!

E said...

there MUST some dumb redhead jokes out there...sorry hawales I sincerely hope I did not offend.

Robert Ward said...

I feel like I just got scolded by my wife... I think I did almost all those things today.

My pet peeves.

1. Toliet paper not put on correctly. It should roll over the top.

2. Trivial Pursuit cards not put away the right way. This one stresses me out just thinking about it. You draw from the questions side and put it back on the other side with the questions facing in!!