Wednesday, September 19, 2007

My New " Official" Friend

About two months ago, I was at the park with V and A, swinging them on the swings. I saw a young woman with a baby walking over. Instantly V started pointing and screaming "Bahhh Bahhh Bahhh Bi!" for baby. "Yes, It's a baby" I replied, and the woman walked right over.




I was surprised she wasn't Eastern European, like most woman at the park are. She said hello, and asked the normal questions, "how old are your kids? are they twins?" etc... so, back and fourth we went. I was happy to find out that she lives only a block and a half from us, and her son is about a year old. She just quit her job to stay home with her son, and was in need of some advise, or just needed to vent. In a matter of 1/2 hour we had hit it off. I told her that I come to the park every day, and I'd see her again soon.



Over that past few months, we'd see one another at the park, sit with the kids and swap stories. I referred to her as my "new friend". She had grown up around us, and seemed pretty down to earth. We actually have a lot in common, and I was exited to see her at the park, 'cause I knew I'd have some adult conversation. About a week had passed, and I hadn't been to the park. I felt bad, so I decided to write her a note, and wrote my number down for her if she ever wanted to get together during the fall or winter. As I wrote it, I thought
" Is this too fast? Am I being too forward? Will I scare her off?" I guess it's the feeling of having a new boyfriend or girlfriend. Are there rules here? I had made friends after high school and college, but they are people I worked with and saw on a daily basis. Eventually, I became social enough with these people to hang out with them, and, to this day, am very close to them. I never thought meeting someone off the street would be this ...awkward.



So, a few days ago I we ran into one another at the park. She came with an invitation to her sons 1st Birthday party, and we talked about the girl I use for a baby sitter. I had offered to share my baby sitter with her, because I really didn't need her on a weekly basis. I knew my friend had started to look for someone, an since the girl that watched V and A is so great, I thought I'd share the love.



After talking with the babysitter, and making sure she'd be o.k. with it, I called my friend to give her the phone #. The phone rang, and I was nervous. Wait, I'm Thirty Three (almost)and I can't call a person who lives down the street? I'm good at this! I'm pretty cool, I can make a new friend, who doesn't like... ME?
Feww, voice mail. I leave a short message with the babysitters phone number. About an hour later, my "friend" calls me back to let me know that she got my message, and she called the sitter and made arrangements. She then asked what I was doing later (!!!?)



Is this a date?



"Ummm, nothing, what do you want to do? Do you want to go out, or stay around here? Wanna come over?"



"sure"
she replies, "I'll call you when the baby wakes up".



At about 3:30, she calls me to let me know she's on her way. I got very exited! A play date, how fun. So we sat around for about two hours, and talked. She's pretty funny. We shared dysfunctional family stories, pregnancy stories, the whole bit. It was great!



So, today my friend calls me to thank me for referring her to the babysitter. It just so happens that the sharing situation is going to work out really well. We sat on the phone for a while and talked. She then she tells me how thankful she is to have met me, and how funny it is to make a new friend. She had mad the "dating" reference, and how long she thought she should she wait to call me, two or four days. It was really funny. I think it's great that she felt the same way.



It's official, we're friends.



4 comments:

P said...

that's great! have fun!

Dina said...

yesterday, we were at the park, and saw my friend and her baby outside. rick and i walked over and let the kids play for a while. her husband came outside, and met us. rick was pleasently suprised to here he has a motorcycle, and has been looking for someone to go riding with. so they made plans for sunday morning. funny

DJ Rizzi said...

can you please change supermarvel to super comics?!

diane303 said...

It's great when, without much effort, people click and, possibly, become lifetime friends...or maybe they won't. God knows. Enjoy it for what it is a day at a time.