Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Terrific Two's Emerging

How sweet they look!!!!

Yes, they are beginning to morph into screaming, hitting, pushing, defiant children. I knew it would happen. I used to be in a room filled with 10 of them. The quietest, most gentle kids seemed to be the ones who really start to act out. I guess they make up for lost time.




Vaughn has quickly found his independence, and finds that if he pushes and hits anyone, he gets a reaction one way or another. Rick and I really try not to react, and just tell him over and over again "we don't push one another", and "it's not nice to hit!" He repeats "no pushing, no hitting", walks up and smacks me in the face. We redirect, give him a ball to push and tell him, "push the ball". We have started to remove him from the room, and put him in the corner. He stands there willingly, and says "manners, not nice...corner" It's hard not to laugh, but we keep our composure.



Avery is actually manageable right now. She is spirited, and will sometimes hit or push, but when we discipline her, she crumbles. She buries her face in my lap, or falls to the ground in a fetal position. It's pretty funny too.



Meal times are especially fun when slices of apples are chucked at you. Vaughn loves to throw anything, and put his feet on the table. I know it's just a matter of ignoring behaviors, and staying calm, but some days it's really hard. If we remind him of using good manners, he says "yes, manners", laughs, takes a big sip of milk and spits it all over the place. ARGHHHHH!!!!!!! Avery is not that extreme since food is worth it's weight in gold to her. She will almost never intentionally throw food on the floor. She does, however , put her feet on the table, and scream.



I WON'T call them terrible though. They are smart kids, and are just trying to find out where the limits are. They challenge us more every day, but make us laugh just as much. It's all a phase, and if handled the right way, will pass quickly. I just really hope they do not become the kind of kids who people talk about in a negative way, like they talk about Rick or my cousin Chuck. I'll often hear, "Wow, Richie was quite a kid!!! I hope they don't act that way" Thankfully, both turned out to be wonderful caring adults.



I am looking forward to summer, when they can expel a lot of energy. Most the time, kids act out when they have an over abundance of energy, no structure, and overtired. Thankfully, I am very structured, and they get plenty of sleep.




Spring where are you!!!!!!!!!!!









126
ran 3.5 miles today

5 comments:

E said...

I think I can almost smell spring, its close. Vaughn is such a lover, his rebellious streak is bound to be short. Avery is a little firecracker. They're both adorable and so fun to hang with. I really can't believe they're almost 2. Time FLIES is right!!!!!!!

Dina said...

i can't wait to break out the kids new golloshes, and let them stomp around in the new puddles.
the past two years are a blur!

diane303 said...

Cabin fever. I have it, too. (and I was not here all of February!).

Seriously, I have no patience right now. Poor Jack keeps asking me if I hate him. lol

One thing you can tell yourself: Better now than when they're 18.

Dina said...

today i just might lose my mind. i am in prime pms rage, and feeling like i'm gonna grow claws, and fur on my back. i't a great thing we had class today. i just threw some soy butter sandwiches at the kids for luch, and put them to bed. ahhhhhhhh, time for some midol, or maybe a martini.
give me the strenght to make it throught this day lord!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

On the other hand,Harley boots ed hardy clothes often is the usual lift-up model with a face Christian audigier shield.One luxury full-faced Harley helmet to look for ed hardy shoes can be the GP Tech Metal Warrior. This Kevlar ed hardy outlet made helmet comes standard considering the ultimate Integrated Ventilation to ed hardy Bikini provide you with oxygen in your ride. And, techniques about fogging ed hardy hats in the shield together with the outdoors, the ed hardy swimsuits helmet will be fog proof. The optimim finish on the helmet guarantees ed hardy clothing no scratches, either. However, ed hardy glasses this amazing ed hardy Jackets tool industry around and may just break your bank! If ed hardyprice is an object, devote all across $70.00 and share with the ed hardy iphone cases conventional stock half helmet. That should as ed hardy dresses a minimum produce a number protection an individual's Harley davidson lower.