Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The North Face Nation

I went to a Black Hawks game on Sunday with my friends. As we arrived to the United Center, I realized that ONE out of THREE people were wearing The North Face jacket of some kind. As we drove to the parking lot, there was just a sea of people with the white lettering on their right shoulder. There were less people wearing hockey jerseys. I have had the conversation before with ...someone, but I never saw so many of the same brand of jacket in such a small area. I guess it's the label right? I have a Colombia fleece jacket that's really nice, and I only spent $30 (at Nordstrom Rack) as opposed to close to $150.


Of course I made a comment to the girls who both had their North Face jackets on. To make it worse, I had also pointed out that most of the women and girls wearing the North Face jackets. were also wearing Ugg's. I looked at both of their feet as we got out of the car, and they two were wearing Ugg's.



What's the big deal? I know it sounds funny from someone who love designer jeans, but I love them because of the way they fit. Is there something I am missing with these jackets?



The issue is not money, it's the very specific brand. Why does everyone have one?





125
3.5 miles today

9 comments:

P said...

i am personally so amazed people are still wearing uggs. i am totally not into fashion, and even i know those have been out of style for at least three years. i don't get it at all.

don't know about the north face jacket. casey and i both have the exact same mountain hardwear monkey(wo)man jacket in black. we bought them for each other for our birthdays. yes, we're big dorks and we like it that way.

Dina said...

i love , love , love your furry feeling black jackets! i have never seen them before. and it's cool like that.
i think there are so many people stuck in this box of what is cool. i guess it's cool to have labels. we had guess jeans in junior high for crying out loud! if thinks are too popular, i think they wear off. it's a bit rediculous

E said...

aren't they suppossed to be super warm? I thought that it was mostly the teens and tweens that wear North Face, but I do see the ladies with the puffy coats. I saw one at REI that I liked, I just didn't want to spend that much for a jacket. Ask Lizzy, she has a North Face. Lizzy, are you out there in Bloggerville???

diane303 said...

When we were in AL we saw the furry variety in the stores. I was told that North Face is not as popular right now and the quality has decreased a lot from what it use to be.

Maybe it's less expensive and still retaining the bits and pieces of its reputation. Therefore people are buying it a lot.

LaLaLaLizzy said...

I got the North Face to go underneath my jacket for the really cold days, like a shell sort of thing.

and i just wear it as a jacket when I don't need my big puffy one.

AND I paid for it with my own money.


and I like my North Face but I should have gotten a different color because white gets really dirty.

DJ Rizzi said...

I like north face because it keeps me warm. Also can you change my name back to SuperMarvel I would really like that.

-DJ

Dina said...

DJ, I finally changed your blog BACK to super marvel, after the third time you asked me!

Jamie said...

Delurking to give my two cents on this - I'm a freak for the way things look, so I own a North Face jacket but only because it's this insanely gorgeous shade of blue and I wanted to marry it the first time I laid eyes on the color. I keep wearing it because it's well-made and mid-weight.

As for Uggs, don't even get me started. I hate those things - they're not flattering, they make your feet sweat, and they're not waterproof! I just don't get why people love them so.

Dina said...

hey jamie! your lurking and comments are always welcomed here.
thanks for your input.