Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Hair Removal : Ist session


so, i had my first light hair removal session. it is not a laser, but a pulsed light handpiece. the light flash seeks the pigment in your hair, and disables the follicle from producing hair. i have to go back 9 times for total hair loss in the areas. what is nice is, if any hair grows after treatment, they will see you free for a whole year to guarantee the hair will not grow back. during the consultation, the woman had asked me if i wanted to have a full bikini treatment
( brazilian, in other words). now after having children, modesty kind of disappears, but i couldn't imagine having a pulsed light handpiece pointed in some of those areas. do i really want to be 70 years old with a "telly savalis"?? i don't think so. anyhow, i purchased the regular bikini treatment, and got underarm treatment for free (yeah). i am looking forward to not having to shave, or wax these areas ever again. WHHHOOO WHOOOOO!!!!!
i arrived to the suite, and was greeted by a very nice girl, who offered me a glass of water and a breath mint. " does my breath stink?" i think to myself. i take one anyway. and sit down. luckily, they took me in right away. needless to say i was a bit anxious, because i had no idea what to expect. the esthetition (we'll call her "E") who would be treating my areas, was really sweet and kinda quiet, so i started my nervous talking thing. which would eventually get me to my ultimate question.

"so E, are you busy this time of year?"
"how long have you been here?"
"are you married?"
"do you have any children?"

" E, how much is this going to hurt???"

i know they described it as a snap from a rubber band, but how big is the rubber band and how far is the rubber band being pulled? E honestly explained, that she really can't tell me what to expect, because everyone reacts differently. she also told me to stop her if i was in terrible discomfort, but if i had ever had endured being waxed in these areas, that this would be a "piece of cake". now, the one time i had my under arms waxed was THE PITS!!!!! pardon the pun. so , if it was easier than that, i knew i'd be o.k. besides, i had twins, what could be worse than the last few weeks of pregnancy?

so, E fires up the handpiece, gives me a pair of glasses for protection, and begins to blow ICE cold air onto my arm pit. she places the hand piece onto my skin, and i immediately tense up. she fires...i jump "oooh, that wasn't so bad" i say. it was like a hard rubber band snap followed by a burning sensation. she fires again, and then blows the ice cold air onto the area, "ahhh". as she treated the bikini area, i probably jumped every time she fired the handpiece and i don't really know why. it wasn't really that uncomfortable, i guess it was just a reflex, but all in all it wasn't terrible. i just felt like an idiot, because i apologized 37 times, and couldn't stop that either. i still couldn't imagine having a full bikini treatment done. wow!! that would hurt.

12 comments:

diane303 said...

I agree with you decision to not opt for the full Brazilian job. I think that having a little "fur" down there is - well - womanly.

I know your struggle with hair and a little pain is worth not having to hack away at your armpits or suffer razor rash on your inner thighs again.

Dina said...

i don't know what's worse for me, "bluebeard" armpits, or horrible rash on the thighs. i hope it help with the hyperhydrosis. then all will be grand.

P said...

whoa.

Jackaland Online said...

I'm gonna leave this one in the family... ;)

diane303 said...

P, why the "whoa?"

Hey, I'm her mother. Just my humble opinion.

P said...

i'm whoaing about the procedure, not the comments. are you kidding? i'm the feminist one, remember? i'm down for doing what you want with your own hair to make you happy whether it's lasering it off or growing it out.

diane303 said...

I just remembered being shaved "down there" when I gave birth to Nicole and feeling rather icky and.....naked.

The "growing out" period was really terrible...not that she would have any growing out...

I just thought you thought that I was getting too personal.

Oh...never mind.

P said...

wait. why did they shave you?

diane303 said...

....cause that's what they did back in the day.

When I had you, they only shaved...well..underneath. Then when Dina came along, they didn't at all.

Dina said...

the growing out is horrible!!! that's is weird that they would shave you. did they think the baby would be more visible???

diane303 said...

They use to shave everything off to make everything as clean and antiseptic as possible. They would shave it all off and slather everything in Betadine (gross).

I always felt that it was silly because I had all of 25 hairs at any given time down there. Like - which particular hair do you think could be dirty?

P said...

that's just ridiculous.