Thursday, August 30, 2007

My Dermatological Experience

I finally made my visit to the dermatologist. I had two reasons for being there:



#1: get checked for and suspicious lesions on my body



#2: yes, i had two warts (eewww!)



I guess working in a medical/dental office, i see things that maybe the average person wouldn't. I'm not saying I had a bad experience, but my expectations were not met entirely.



I stood at the window, and watched a sea of people in scrubs standing around, laughing, and chit-chatting. Some people were sitting at a computer and working, but there seemed to be quite a few looking as though they were doing nothing, but what do I know. I try to make eye contact with anyone, to announce that I have arrived, and that I am late. Yes, Yes, I was late, and that may be the reason why they didn't roll out the red carpet for me. I tried to call, but my cell phone wouldn't pick up a signal.



You see, if this were to happen in the office I used to work in, we would have been lectured. In the past, If I was behind the desk, talking to another girl, and the front desk people were busy, I would have acknowledged the patient, and offer to help with checking her in. If any of us were unable to be of service to a new patient, we were forbidden to hang out at the front, because the doctors thought it looked like we were lazy. Now, being on the other side, I see what they mean.



I finally get a girl to look at me and say "hi there", she says hello back, and continues her story about the storm that blew through late last week. I am now starting to get impatient, as I'm about to crawl over the desk, and scream, finally, a woman walks over. I tell her my name, and that I know I'm about 10 minutes late. I offered to re-schedule my appointment, but she says "no, your fine"



I fill out my paper work as fast as I can, and supply the woman with my ID and insurance info. A few minutes later, a nice nurse takes me back and has me sit down. She goes over my medical history, and quickly asks me some questions. She tosses a gown at me, and blurts something out as she exits the room. I never got her name.



The P.A. walks in, and asks me why I am there. I explain that my brother-in-law was diagnosed with stage 1 melinoma, and that I would like to be examined for anything funny looking, and of course...the warts!. I do show her one spot on my leg that has changed over the years. The P.A. has me sit back, and quickly looks at by body. She explained that I have TONS of freckles and other pigmentations (no shit!), and some swelling of may hair follicles, but nothing concerning (except for the one on my leg). I felt that glancing at someone in the sitting position was not a very comprehensive exam...but again, what do I know? All I know is that some people who have had a complete scan, get naked, and every spot on there body is examined, and charted.



Anyhow, she offered to biopsy the one on my leg, and freeze off my warts right there. I opted for just the freezing of the warts, and I'll return for the biopsy.



I sign a consent form for that procedure. The P.A. then takes a torch looking device filled with liquid nitrogen, and sprays the first one. HOLY CRAP!!! It felt like she was holding a lit cigarette on my finger. She then shoots the other one, thank god, the second was less painful then the first. She gave me some simple instructions for after care, and tells me to make an appointment in two weeks for the biopsy.



Today, I have these nasty blisters surrounding my warts, but I guess it's like any burn.



Don't get me wrong, everyone was really nice, once I got in, but it all felt a bit rushed. I wouldn't say I am a difficult patient, but if I'm paying for a service, I'd like to at least believe I'm being taken good care of. Maybe some offices take the "mole scan" to the extreme, and un-necessarily make the process last a long time. I thought it would take more then 2 minutes though. I will go back in two weeks, and comment if I'm rushed again (I'll make sure I'm on time). I usually bring baked goods to all my doctors, but if I am not satisfied after my next visit, they won't be worthy of any cookies.

3 comments:

LaLaLaLizzy said...

i had a wart cut out of my foot, and there was like a hole there for a long time, it hurt, real bad.

P said...

hmmm. it doesn't sound anything like what casey and i have had. we strip down to our undies and put a robe on. then the doctor goes from scalp to between our toes with a loupe and calls out, "four millimeter macule on the patient's top right thigh... two millimeter macule with mild erythema in the left gluteal fold..." and the p.a. records these measurements in our records for reference next time. i'm kind of amazed she would just want to biopsy the one thing right then. we are given pre-op procedures, including wearing lose clothing, not ingesting certain drugs or beverages prior to the procedure, etc.

Jackaland Online said...

Having worked in the same office as you, I know EXACTLY what you mean... I used to argue w/ the Drs, "would you rather patients hear us laughing, or crying?" But if it's going on while a patient is waiting, it can be very frustrating. I get that maybe it was one specific person's responsibility to greet you and check you in, but if that's the case, the first gal should've said, "Betty will be right with you..."
Secondly, we know first hand about a Dr with no bedside manner- this is why it is sooo important for the staff to make up for that. Though it sounds like this PA was not thorough enough, clearly the assistants weren't either.
Kudos to you for going, but you may want a second opinion- esp if you think she may not have found everything.