Monday, January 14, 2008

Back In Action!!!!


Finally, we joined our community fitness center. Rick and I took the kids for a "look-see" a while ago, but never got the motivation to just pay the membership fee, and GO.

What's nice is they have a babysitting room for parents who want to work out. It's nicely equipped with toys, kitchen and T.V. They also limit the number of children in the room, and you have to make an appointment, which controls any over crowding.

Now, I have no excuse. Only if the babies are sick. They will turn you away if you attempt to bring in a sick child- that's nice.

After a stressful month (holiday's, cold weather, very sick babies) , I finally went. I packed up my new hot pink Nike bag, compliments of my sister and UDA, and took the one minute drive over to the community center. It is rather small, but it is clean and the staff is very friendly. Unlike the gym we used to belong too.

I fired up my ipod, and hopped onto the treadmill. I would have chosen the elliptical because of my knee, which has been acting up again, but they were all being used. I trusted the neoprene wrap would help. After the first mile and 1/2, I felt like it was time to slow down a bit and bring my heart rate down, so I dialed down the MPH, and started on a slow jog. Interestingly enough, that is when my knee started to hurt. Could it be that I put more pressure on my joints jogging, than running? I did read that in runners magazine about three years ago. I decided to speed back up again, and the discomfort lessened. When I felt like my heart rate was beyond target again, I walked and jacked up the incline to make it more difficult. Thankfully, this worked well. I guess your body has a way of letting you know your limits. It's funny, because my mind works in a similar fashion, run and walk, never can I just mentally jog anymore.

5 comments:

diane303 said...

Could be you need new shoes. BUT...a brisk walk can do you just as much good as a run. Also...don't forget to lift!

Dina said...

my shoes are new! I may just take out the $1,000 custom orthotics and see what happens. I just have to find the original inserts.

diane303 said...

Gee, you have orthotics? Do they help you in general? If you can't find the original insoles, buy Dr. Scholes. Maybe you just have to build up to running again.

I like my Earth shoes. The first week, I really ached all over from them, but now my back doesn't hurt any more and my feet have been happy from day one. I can't imagine running in them, though.

Dina said...

my orthotics are supposed to slow down the bunion process, and support my arches better. I don't have the same cramping in my arches anymore, but my knee hurts (?). They must set something off in the joint. I'll let you know what happens when I use the regular inserts.

diane303 said...

hmmm - sounds like they take the pressure off of the front of your foot. The more intense rolling motion from the rear to the front of the foot must be putting more stress on your knees. I'll bet you would be more comfortable with a good sports insole for running and keep you orthotics for everyday wear.