Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The First Day of School

Today was our first day of our "Stay and Play" class with the park district. We walked in, took off our coats, and made our way to say hello to the teacher.


As I walked across the room, I noticed we were the only non Eastern European people in the class so far. I walked V and A up the the teacher, introduced the and myself, and greeted the teacher. I was very clearly the strange american woman.


As other class members came in, I noticed we were the minority. The "E.E" parents sat in the corner and chatted (jzib jzib) while their children ran about pushing other kids, as the rest of us supervised our children and encouraged them to share and be kind to the other kids. I was also making sure V and A weren't licking any of the sticky toys, as to not ingest any other viruses and bacteria for a while.


I was surprised to see my babies having no problem running off and interacting with other kids and adults. They were sharing toys with other kids, and would occasionally call out for one another to make sure their sibling was at least in the room. They would periodically meet up in the center of the room, say a few words and then separate again.


I tried very hard to not interfere with what they were doing, so they can initiate play on their own. I did however, as I mentioned before, keep an eye on them at all times.


It was then time for "snack". We sat at the little tables, and had some dried cranberries, and cheerio's, and I tried to strike up conversations with other parents. Needless to say it was difficult with most of the other parents, but I did talk with a few. I was the most aggressive one there, 'cause once I started to talk, more people came out of their shell. After snack, I asked V and A to take their napkins to the garbage. This was amazing to the others. "Wow, did you see that?? How do you get them to help you??" I heard from some of them. I figured almost all kids love to help, and throw things in the "bargage".


Anyhow, on to circle time. If you don't know, I'm always talking to V and A. I explain almost everything we are doing, or going to do. So I prepared them. "Alright, we're having circle time! Let's clean up the toys so we can sit in a circle on the carpet!" V and A started tossing toys in the toy box, and proceeded to sit on the colorful carpet. This again was strange to most.


The teacher sat down and asked what we would like to sing. Every parent sat wide eyed, and quiet.

Are you asking us or the kids? I thought to myself.

How about the wheels on the bus? The teacher suggested.

Thinking again. This should be amusing since more than half the people in this class speak polish.

The teacher started The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round. All thought the town.

Pause... blank looks....

I chime in The Wipers on the bus go swish swish swish...and so on.

Suddenly, I'm leading the song. WTF is the teacher for?? She asks us what song we'd like to sing next, and looks at me.

The itsy bitsy spider? I say

The next thing you know, I'm leading this song too. Oh, and after every song, I clap and say "yeah!!!!!" to get the kids going a bit.

I should be getting paid for this I'm thinking.

It was now time to go. The teacher was saying her good byes, but most of the parents just threw their kids jackets on and bolted out the door. I made sure to show V and A to say good bye and Thank you to the teacher and to the new kids we had met.

I guess for some, it's a place to bring your kid to play. I see it as "school", and another opportunity to teach V and A manners, and expose them to a few hours of structured play. I guess it's the preschool teacher in me.

I do look forward to going next week, and the weeks that follow. It's fun to watch the kids enjoy new experiences, and branch off. It makes me feel more comfortable that they look out for each other, and aren't necessarily looking for me.

3 comments:

diane303 said...

I could see you going back to being a part-time nursery school teacher in the future. (notice that I say nursery school instead of day care).

I love that they check in with each other and "chat" for a second or two.

Who knows, maybe they'll pick up a bit of Russian or Polish in the bargain. YASHKEMASH!

Dina said...

I don't think I'd want to go back to being a nursery school teacher. I'd rather do surgery part time.

It is fun to watch them check in.

I wouldn't be surprised if polish is a language offered in school much like spanish, french, and german.

DJ Rizzi said...

DJ Here I changed it to supermarvel again so can you change it to supermarvel? Thanks.