Monday, June 30, 2008

The few things I dislike about Summer

We all love summer right? The warm weather, being outside in the fresh air...I could go on for hours. There are some things that are really ANNOYING about summer. I know they don't out weigh the winter's crappiness, but they do exist, so let me tell you what I don't like.

There are only 3 (thank god, any I experienced all of them last night)

#3) Mosquitoes.
I would venture to guess we all hate these little buggers. At least we can repel them. This is why they are at the bottom of the list.

#2) Firecrackers.
Since having children, I have grown to HATE, HATE, HATE them. The people of the neighborhood are always firing them off when my children are sleeping ('cause it's dark). The home schooled kids down the street happen to light 'em up in the street, and scream at the top of their lungs. It kills me. I guess it is that time of year, and not much can be done about it for the next month. Thank god for the sound machines we purchased for the kids a few months ago. They muffle out a lot when they are on the highest setting, although, last night they were awakened at 10pm by the last pops of them. This too can be stopped after 10pm when the noise ordinance kicks in. It's just a quick call to the police station.

#1) Ding Dong Ditchers.

In our case since we do not have a doorbell, the little bastards either knock ferociously, or in the last situation, kick the door so hard the knocker we have knocks with the aftershock. I was watching a movie at about 11pm, when I was startled by the sound of someone kicking my door in. I slapped my husband in the face a few times (who was sleeping in my lap) to wake him screaming "wake up, didn't you hear that?". I heard the punks leaping from the stairs, and scatter. My first instinct is to open the door an let my trusty hound out to "sick 'em". But I didn't. I put Louie's leash on, and walked around outside saying,
"OK Louie, find them. Hey punks, should I let my dog find you, and you can square it up with him? Next time I will, and I'll tell the cops you were trespassing".

I saw a little punk kid scamper across the street and dodge behind a house.

There isn't much you can do. Kids will be kids. I guess it's payback for my husbands behavior as a teen.

All in all, summer is fantastic! If it was only a few months longer.

3 comments:

diane303 said...

I would love to connect the door to an electrical current and see what happens.

You probably will never know how many nasty people Louie has detered over the past 7 years.

P said...

what about a motion sensing flood light for a while at the front door?

aren't firecrackers illegal in des plaines? i'd straight up call the cops if i could see someone in plain sight lighting them.

Dina said...

we have motion lights. the kids are really ballsy.
I don't know if the firecrackers are or not illegal. they sell them at menards and stuff.